Munch the Crunch!
“Dad cooks good junk food while Mom cooks quick healthy food,” one of my kids blurted out over dinner last week. This comment led me to ask myself if I was an advocate of healthy eating or if I am an alleged junkie. What does “…cooks good food” really mean? Lest I am accused of being defensive nay philosophical; I also thought it was crucial to rise up to my kids’ challenge.
Stepping up to the plate was not really difficult. I give credit to my cousin who introduced me to this veggie recipe which can stand on its own. And hey! It also tastes good when served with roasted or baked chicken or turkey. 😀 It’s also healthy, crunchy and easy to prepare! One can substitute some of the ingredients for a healthier and leaner meal: use skim milk, cook your own cream of mushroom soup from scratch to lessen the salt and fat, and substitute the French’s Fried Onions for crunchy tofu! 🙂
So, go ahead! Try this recipe and munch the crunch!
GREEN BEANS AND CRUNCHY ONIONS IN MUSHROOM SAUCE*
(* Adapted from French’s Green Bean Casserole/ Casserole aux haricots verts French’s)
½ cup of skim milk
1 pack of Cream of Mushroom soup (dissolved in 1 cup of milk and 3 cups of water) or 1 284 ml can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
½ kilo of fresh green beans
1 can of French Fried Onions or 2 cups of crunchy tofu
1 tsp of Maggi Savor or Knorr Seasoning
1. Trim the end of the green beans then cut them into bite sizes.
2. Boil a pot of water then blanche the beans for two minutes then drain. You can stop the cooking process by running it in cold water so the beans remain green and crunchy. Set aside.
3. Cook the cream of mushroom soup according to the pack’s directions. Let it cool for 5 minutes. You may also substitute 1 can of Cream of Mushroom Soup.
4. In a Pyrex pan or casserole, mix all the ingredients together and ½ can of French Fried Onions.
5. Bake at 180‘C (350’F) for 20 minutes or until hot then stir.
6. Top with the remaining ½ can of onions (or 1 cup of crunchy tofu).
7. Bake for 5 minutes or until onions are golden. Serve and enjoy!