Lettuce Wrap: Good Appetizer or Snack
My recipe for Lettuce Wrap was based on a Chinese dish using minced duck in lettuce.
Since roast duck is not easy to get, I thought of substituting ground pork for the meat. It’s
not the same but it’s close. The minced mushroom adds to the slightly gummy texture
and the minced water chestnut gives the crunch. You can also use jicama or singkamas
which will also give a little sweetness. My son calls this the Chinese burrito. We all love
this light dish. You might find the hoisin sauce strong so hence I added a preparation
that will fix that. Otherwise, you can just spoon it from the bottle. Make sure you get
fresh lettuce. I prefer the crunchier part of it which is the inside part. So here it is. Enjoy!
1-2 lbs ground lean pork
3 cloves minced garlic
15 – 20 medium shiitake mushrooms soaked until soft then minced
1 20 oz. can water chestnuts, minced
(use chopper for mushrooms and chestnuts)
2 tbsp soy sauce or 1 sandok
1 14 oz. jar hoisin sauce
1/2 pork cube
1/2 cup water
salt and pepper, adobo seasoning
1. Saute garlic in a big saucepan
2. Saute pork until cooked. Drain out the oil.
3. Add mushrooms then the water chestnuts.
4. Add salt, pepper, and msg/adobo seasoning
5. Mix together and let simmer for about 15 minutes or until cooked.
6. Add soy sauce to color.
7. Mix and toast a little bit in medium heat for another 5 minutes.
1. Heat up water and dissolve pork cube.
2. Add whole jar of hoisin sauce and mix until consistent
To eat, wrap a couple of spoonfuls of the pork/mushroom mixture and sauce in a
Thanks to my friend Irene QB.